photo by Chef PotPie
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped coarse
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried kidney beans, soaked overnight
- 2 (16 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can French onion soup
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole kernel corn, lightly drained
- 1 bell pepper, chopped, any color
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon toasted minced dried onion
- 1 tablespoon toasted minced dried garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Brown the ground meat, onions and garlic in large stock pot; drain fat.
- Add next 7 ingredients, soaked kidney beans through bell peppers.
- Bring to simmer and add all remaining ingredients EXCEPT lemon juice.
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally for 2-4 hours, until beans are tender and liquid has reduced to make a pleasantly thick chili.
- Remove from heat, add lemon juice and stir.
- It doesn't hurt to leave this sit for awhile, but it's now ready to serve with a dollop of sour cream and grated cheddar cheese if you like.
- This is even better the next day!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
One of the old time founding members of Recipezaar. I live in Port Orchard, Washington. I LOVE to cook and bake nearly everything! I HATE to see people join the site, have no published recipes, but rag on another cook in a review on a recipe they haven't even tried or didn't follow. Oh, and I hate cilantro, too. :)