Latke Double Down
- Ready In:
- 2 medium russet potatoes (about 1 pound)
- 1⁄2 yellow onion, peeled and grated on large holes of a grater
- 1 tablespoon everything bagel seasoning (recipe follows)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 - 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 ounces smoked salmon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced scallion, green part only
- 6 slices tomatoes
Everything Bagel Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 1 tablespoon dried minced onion
- 1 tablespoon instant minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon flaky sea salt
- Fill a large bowl with cold water. Working one at a time, peel potatoes and grate on the large holes of a box grater. Place grated potatoes into the bowl with cold water.
- Once the potatoes have been added to the water and soaked for 1-2 minutes, drain and place in a large clean kitchen towel with the grated onion and squeeze to remove as much liquid as possible. Place potatoes and onion in a large bowl and combine with Everything Bagel Seasoning, salt, pepper, egg and flour.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large nonstick skillet. Spoon potatoes into skillet, making them into about 3-inch wide and 1/2-inch tall cakes. Cook until crisp and golden, about 4-5 minutes per side. Transfer to a towel-lined place. Repeat with remaining ingredients, adding more as needed to crisp the latkes.
- To assemble the “Double Down” cakes, spread sour cream on one side of a latke and top with smoked salmon, onions and a slice of tomato. Spread more sour cream on another latke and top the sandwich. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
To Make the Everything Bagel Seasoning:
- In a small bowl, mix ingredients to combine well. Store in an airtight container.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!