Latin-Style Fried Rice
- Ready In:
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 cup egg substitute
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 links raw chorizo sausage (each approx 5 inches in length)
- 6 -8 ounces firm tofu, drained well, pat dry and cut into chunks
- 1 onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup white rice or 1 cup brown rice, cooked
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup green peas or 1/2 cup edamame, shelled
- 2 tablespoons white wine
- chopped cilantro, for garnish
- lemon juice
- Heat a medium nonstick skillet over high heat and coat with cooking spray. Pour the egg substitute into the pan, swirling to coat the bottom, and let cook until set, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer the egg "tortilla" to a cutting board and roll up the egg "tortilla" and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips.
- Remove chorizo from casing and break sausage into small pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat and well coated with cooking spray, add the chorizo, tofu, onion and garlic and saute, until the onions are soft and chorizo is cooked.
- Add the white wine and let reduce then add cooked rice.
- Add the soy sauce gradually according to your tastes and the strength of the brand of soy sauce. You may not need the entire 1/4 cup.
- Add the green peas or edamame.
- Cook until heated through. Stir in the egg strips and top with cilantro and season with salt, pepper and a sprinkle of lemon juice to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a happy newlywed (since October 2006) and Registered Nurse currently in Cardiology. During my spare time, I love to cook and bake. There is something about taking raw ingredients and creating a dish that fulfills and relaxes me. I also love taking recipes and trying to tweak the ingredients to make it a little healthier and more heart friendly. <img src="http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/PACsticker-Adopted.jpg">