- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 onion, Chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 lb salami, Chopped
- 2 eggs, Beaten
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, Grated
- 1 tablespoon parsley, Chopped
- 1⁄2 lb lasagna noodle, Cooked
- 2 (5 1/2 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 8 ounces cottage cheese
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- Saute bacon, crushed garlic, and onion in hot oil for 5 min.
- Remove the garlic.
- Add ground beef, salami, basil, and parsley.
- Brown well.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, mushrooms, and water.
- Simmer uncovered for 1 hour or until very thick.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Butter a 12x9 inch casserole or lasagna dish.
- Grate mozzarella.
- Combine cottage cheese, egg and Parmesan cheese.
- Pour a layer of tomato sauce in the bottom of dish.
- Cover with a layer of noodles and a layer of the cheese /egg mixture, sprinkle with mozzarella.
- Repeat, ending with sauce and a layer of mozzarella.
- Bake for 30 min.
- Note: The flavor improves when lasagna is prepared a day in advance and refrigerated until time for baking.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I made this lasagna when my husbands family visited us this past weekend. It was my first attempt at making lasagna!! I'm in the UK and made the mistake of trying to use Continental salami in this receipt - didn't work, the salami just shrivels. After a bit of a panic, I removed the cooked salami and replaced it with a leek sausage from our local butcher. I also added a bit more garlic, oragano, and red wine to the meat sauce. I took Truebrit's advice and put the finished dish in the frige for a day to bring out the flavour. I then froze it. When fully defrosted, the lasagna took about 50 minutes to cook. It had a great, home made taste and everybody - even the kids - had seconds! I will definately make this dish again, but may make a bit more of the egg/cottage cheese/parmasean cheese mixture the next time. This was a good tasting, good looking lasagna! Thanks for the recipe