- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon kaffir lime leaf (or lime zest if unavailable)
- 1 tablespoon lemongrass, bruised and chopped fine
- 1 shallot, chopped (red onion can be substituted)
- 1⁄2 cup mint leaf, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup Thai basil (omit if unavailable, regular basil doesn't taste the same)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons dried Thai chiles or 1 tablespoon sambal oelek chili paste
- 3 tablespoons rice powder, toasted (you can make your own by browning dry rice in a pan and pulverizing in a spice mill or mortar and pe)
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce (or soy sauce if you don't like fish sauce)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice, fresh squeezed
- 1 head cabbage
- 2 cups cooked rice
- Brown the chicken in a skillet over medium eat until cooked through, breaking up into small pieces.
- Let cool slightly before adding the remaining ingredients so they maintain their freshness and texture. Adjust the amount of thai chili powder or sambal according to your heat tolerance. better to start with a little and add more if needed.
- Serve with rice or roll in abbage leaves for a hand held "taco".
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I was raised in SoCal and currently live in Las Vegas I am a licensed veterinary technician as well as a registered nurse. I grew up in my parents restaurant, so I learned to cook by watching and doing. No recipes, just what the basic ingredients were. I cooked for a while during my teen years and got to make my own creations which was fun, but left the business in '93..many fond memories still remain. I am mom to a wonderful 12 year old daughter who shares my love of cooking, although her tastes run to the exotic (at least for most 12 year olds I know). She loves Japanese, Chinese and and Thai food. Her favorites are Jellyfish and sushi.