Typical good pub food. Based on: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/9099/lancashire-hotpot
- Ready In:
- 100 g drippings or 100 g butter
- 900 g stewing lamb, cut into large chunks
- 3 lambs kidneys, sliced, fat removed
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 25 g plain flour
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 500 ml lamb or 500 ml chicken stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 900 g potatoes, peeled and sliced
- Heat oven to 160C/fan 140C/gas 3.
- Heat some dripping or butter in a large shallow casserole dish, brown the lamb in batches, lift to a plate, then repeat with the kidneys.
- Fry the onions and carrots in the pan with a little more dripping until golden. Sprinkle over the flour, allow to cook for a couple of mins, shake over the Worcestershire sauce, pour in the stock, then bring to the boil. Stir in the meat and bay leaves, then turn off the heat.
- Arrange the sliced potatoes on top of the meat, then drizzle with a little more dripping. Cover, then place in the oven for about 1½ hrs until the potatoes are cooked.
- Remove the lid, brush the potatoes with a little more dripping, then turn the oven up to brown the potatoes, or finish under the grill for 5-8 mins until brown.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION