Lamb Stew With Tomatoes, Chickpeas and Spices
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 3 lbs lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1 . 5 in cubes
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped coarsely (about 2 cups)
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups low sodium chicken broth or 1 1/2 cups homemade chicken stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned tomatoes with juice
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, minced or 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- Heat oven to 250.
- Toss lamb with salt and pepper. Heat 2 Tbls oil in dutch oven over medium high heat. Brown lamb on all sides in two batches. Set aside on plate.
- Add onions to Dutch oven and saute until softened. Add garlic and cook an additional 30s.
- Stir in flour and cook until lightly colored (1-2 min).
- Add stock and deglaze pan.
- Add tomatoes and spices and bring to simmer before adding lamb and returing to simmer.
- Cover and place in oven until meat is almost tender (1 3/4 - 2 1/4 hours).
- Add chickpeas and return to oven until meat is tender and chicpeas are heated through (about 15 min).
- Can be cooled, covered and refrigerated up tp 3 days before reheating on stovetop.
- Stir in parsley, discard bay leaves and adjust seasoning just before serving.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
this is an excellent got 'lamb and a tin of chickpeas what should I cook' recipe. I used our slow cooker too. I made it for 4-5 people ( so 680grms lamb).I followed the recipe but used a can of tomatoes and alittle stock ( maybe 1/4 cup) and transfered the simmered tomatoes to the lamb waiting in the slow cooker. On low for about 5-6 hrs perfect!
I love lamb stew and usually make an Irish version with potatoes, celery, carrots, onions or something close. Now and then I'm looking for a change of pace. Using this recipe as a basis this turned out a really tasty and healthy lamb stew. I plan to alternate this with the Irish style. Mmm. I used the canned tomatoes, chickpeas, onion, garlic, also a little celery, a jalapeno pepper, and diced-up carrot and malanga root. Used cumin, cinnamon, ginger, rosemary, and cloves as well as salt and pepper. Nice peppy flavor. Looks great as well, if I get the camera working hope to send a picture.
This was a lovely Morrocan style dish. I halved the recipe and made it on the stove top like a stew. I added a bit more stock to keep it from drying out. I left off the parsley and/or cilantro, didn't have any. Served with some warm pita type flat breads. I have a VERY picky Husband that even enjoyed this dish.
We really enjoyed this and so did both my young daughters. For this recipe I decided my crockpot would be perfect. I basically followed the recipe exactally except instead of adding the flour to the onions, I made a mix of flour, salt and pepper in a bag and then tossed the lamb to coat before browning. I added the spices to the onion/garlic to toast them slightly before deglazing with stock. Because I used the crockpot I cut the stock back to about 1/2 - 3/4 cup and used all the canned tomatoes. I added the canned chickpeas about an hour before serving. This ended up cooking in the crockpot on low for about 6-7 hours. Served with Recipe #96875 this is a fabulous, filling family meal. Thank you for posting.