Lamb Mince With Spinach (Keema Saag)
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons ground coriander
- 3 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 10 whole cloves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ginger, chopped finely (or ginger paste)
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped finely (or garlic paste)
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped (more or less, depending on heat)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 6 ounces water
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (if more heat is needed)
- 1 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix spices together, and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat, heat oil in a large pan, adding in the onion, ginger, garlic and chilies. Saute until soft.
- Add spice mix to onion mixture, allowing to fry for 1 minute.
- Add tomato paste, incorporating well, and fry for 1 minute.
- Add ground lamb, mix well with mixture and allow to cook thoroughly. Carefully drain off any fat.
- Reduce heat and add water and spinach. Simmer for 30 minutes, being careful not to let lamb mixture go dry.
- Add yogurt, coriander, salt and lemon juice. If more heat is desired, add a pinch of cayenne pepper. Simmer for a further 10 minutes.
- Once simmered, keema should have a paste-like consistency. If mixture is too wet, simply simmer uncovered until reduced.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I'm an American living in England, married to a fantastic guy. We have two little girls- a 3 1/2 year old extremely finnicky eater and a 6 month old who has yet to come across any flavor she doesn't like (including cauliflower, parsnip, beef, lentils, etc). Go figure.</p>