Lamb Do Piaza (Lamb With Onions)
photo by peter.32
- Ready In:
- 1hr 25mins
- 6 onions, peeled
- 7 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 1⁄2 cm cube fresh ginger, coarsely chopped
- 425 ml water
- 10 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 1⁄2 cm cinnamon sticks
- 10 whole cardamom pods
- 10 whole cloves
- 1 kg boneless lamb shoulder
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 6 tablespoons plain yogurt, beaten lightly
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- Cut three of the onions into thin sliced half rings, cut the fourth finely. Keep the two types of onions separate.
- Put the garlic and ginger into a blender add 100ml of the measured water and blend until fairly smooth.
- Heat the oil in a wide heavy saucepan over a medium heat. When hot, put in the sliced onions. stir and fry for 10-12 minutes until the onions turn a reddish-brown colour. You may have to turn the heat down towards the end of this cooking period.
- Remove onions when cooked and spread them on a paper towel lined plate.
- Put the cinnamon, cardamom and cloves into he hot oil. Stir them for about 5 seconds, now put in the meat and brown the meat on one side.
- Turn it over and brown on the other side. Remove the meat and put in a bowl.
- Put the chopped onion into the remaining oil. Stir and fry on a medium heat until the pieces turn brown at the edges. Add the garlic-ginger paste. Stir and fry it until all the water has boiled away and you can see the oil again. Turn the heat down and add the coriander and cumin. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Now add 1 tablespoon of yoghurt, stir and blend, add all the yoghurt this way, blending well.
- Put all the meat and accumulated juices and remaining water into the pan. Add the cayenne and salt, simmer, covered on a low heat for 40 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the fried onions and the garam masala. Stir to mix.
- Cook, uncovered for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let the pan sit for a while. the fat will rise to the top, remove it.
- This dish is great prepared ahead of time and reheated.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Thank you for stopping by to look at my page...here's a little bit about me... I live in the Uk with a hungry husband and two of my three fussy daughters. We follow a low carb diet which keeps our weight in check and I can stay off he wheat....it makes me poorly. I love making cakes, cookies and desserts for family and friends. In my life I am looking for world peace, unlimited supplies of organic chocoalte & self cleaning kitchen floors! I am at my happiest when getting paid, drinking wine & cooking cakes but it makes me very unhappy when it's my turn to wash up, when someone eats my chocolate, drinks my wine or uses my toilet! I work as a part time cook in a children's centrel. My afternoon job sees me as parish administrator at my local church. Outside of work I try to be as inactive as possible, although I do a bit of dog walking with ozzy (thankfully he only has little legs and doesn't need to go far. <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/thetulipfairy/Ozzy02/photo?authkey=HhT0ux14Lv0#5113793555440255698"><img src="http://lh3.google.com/thetulipfairy/RvfYJQaywtI/AAAAAAAABGo/NzK_AYCiF6I/s288/Oozzy%20003.jpg" /></a> <a href="http://picasaweb.google.com/thetulipfairy/Ozzy02/photo?authkey=HhT0ux14Lv0#5099192685257170082"><img src="http://lh5.google.com/thetulipfairy/RsP4uwYGHKI/AAAAAAAAA0g/8Ljxr4lLvwg/s288/Small%20Camera%20001.jpg" /></a> I am also interested in working towards early retirement, we intend to leave the kids in the house, travel around Europe in a silver camper van 'doing' all the F1 Grand Prix spending their inheritance as we go!! My favourite films in no particular order are: Pulp Fiction, Blues Brothers, Dirty Dancing, Fight Club, Pretty Women,Vanilla Sky, The Breakfast Club, Hideous Kinky (although the book is better), Ferris Buellers day off, Autumn in New York, Mistress of Spices, Splash, Scent of a Women, When Harry met Sally, Sleepless in Seattle, Notting Hill I could go on and on and on....but I won't!!!! Some of my favourite books are, 365 Bedtime Stories, Harry Potter, Pomegranate soup, Julie / Julia Project, Hideous Kinky, Dinner with a perfect Stranger, The Tao of Pooh, this list really could go on and on and become endless as I am an avid reader. I have been a member of zaar's since May 2002 and have loved every minute of it, I just know that if I need a recipe you guys will have it! I haven't posted many recipes yet but I just love it when I receive a review. This is why I always review all the zaar recipes I try, I also try to photograph as many as possible too! <a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com"><img border="0" src="http://c8.amazingcounters.com/counter.php?i=1669569&c=5009020" alt="Hit Counter"></a><a href="http://www.amazingcounter.com">Free Web Counter</a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"><img src="http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg">