Lamb and Cabbage Stew
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
1 pot of stew
- Preheat the oven to 300*. Trim the cabbage of any discolored outer leaves. Core it and slice it into slim wedges.
- In a large Dutch oven or kettle, layer 1/3 of the lamb, generous sprinklings of salt and pepper, and 1/3 each of the flour and cabbage. Repeat twice more.
- Pour in the beef stock, and set the Dutch oven over moderate heat. Bring the broth to a simmer.
- Cover the Dutch oven and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 2 hours, until the lamb is tender.
- In the meantime, prepare the roux by melting the butter in a frying pan and stirring in the flour. Cook for a few minutes over medium heat.
- Remove the Dutch oven from the oven. Drain the juices into a medium saucepan, skimming off the fat. Quickly whisk in the roux, and simmer until thickened.
- Whisk in the sour cream or heavy cream and season to taste. Pour the gravy back into the Dutch oven.
- Serve with cooked unpeeled new potatoes if you wish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!