Kumquat Meringue Pie
- Ready In:
- Thinly slice 6 kumquats and set aside.
- With the rest of the kumquats you need to slice them in half and squeeze out the juice.
- Your going to need 1/2 cup juice.
- In a 3 quart pan whisk together 1&1/4 cup sugar and cornstarch.
- Slowly whisk in the kumquat juice and water, blending to smooth.
- Cook over medium high heat stirring constantly until mixture thickens and comes to a full boil.
- Whisk yolks and slowly pour in 1/4 cup of the hot mixture, then whisk this into the hot mixture on the stove.
- Remove from heat and stir in sliced fruit and butter.
- Cool for 5 minutes then pour into pie plate lined with pastry.
- Beat whites until frothy.
- Gradually add remaining sugar and beat until stiff, glossy peaks hold their shape.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Pile the meringue on top of the filling, pushing it around to cover.
- Make decorative swirls or peaks and bake in a preheted 375 degree oven for about 7 minutes-you want the meringue golden brown.
- Let cool for at least 3 hours-overnight in the fridge is best.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!