- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
For the base
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup icing sugar
- 125 g butter
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons ice-cold water
For the filling
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup boiled kumara, plus
- 1⁄2 cup boiled kumara, pureed (remember, you may need to add about 1/2 cup of milk to soften the puree)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- For the base.
- Process all the ingredients in a food processor until the pastry starts to come together.
- On a floured bench roll out to fit a 23cm loose-bottomed tart tin.
- Line the tin with the pastry then line the shell with baking paper, fill with baking beans or rice and bake blind at 180°C for 12 minutes.
- For the filling.
- Process all the ingredients in a food processor until well mixed.
- Pour into the baked pastry case and bake for a further 45-55 minutes at 180°C.
- Serves this pie in wedges with butterscotch sauce and a scoop of harakeke seed ice-cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I had been planning on giving this recipe only 3 stars because, despite following the directions to a T, the filling came out dry and cracked. Then, I read the blurb about the recipe and realised that Pikake21 mentions that you might need milk to soften the purÃ©e. I think this needs to be added to the ingredient list itself (perhaps as an option) because I used golden kumara and it was VERY dry. I ended up trying a second batch with a cup of milk and two eggs. This made a wonderful, soft custard akin to the texture of pumpkin pie. I'll definitely be making this again using those adaptations.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
We love to eat :) I'm an island girl living in Seattle, WA who loves to cook! I enjoy cooking for my family and friends, and I don't find many things more satisfying than sharing food and good memories with them. Plus they always seem to be hungry--perfect! <img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/Adopted1smp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/smPACp.jpg" border="0" alt="Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket">