Kraut Pork Pinwheel
This is a recipe that I got from my mother. My DS's absolutely love this recipe - one pinwheel isn't enough. We always have to make two. This is NOT a low fat recipe.
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb (I use gluten-free)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (1 lb) can sauerkraut, drained, and snipped
- 1⁄4 cup onion, chopped
- 5 slices bacon
- Combine ground pork, crumbs, egg, salt, and worcestershire; mix thoroughly,
- On waxed paper, pat meat mixture to a 10 x 7 inch rectangle.
- Combine sauerkraut and onion; spread evenly over meat.
- Starting with narrow side, roll up meat jelly-roll fashion.
- Place loaf in shallow baking dish.
- Arrange bacon slices across top.
- Bake in moderate oven (350º ) for 40 – 45 minutes.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Very interesting dish. Neither of us have ever had sauerkraut before and found the flavor very different. I only used half of it instead of the whole can which worked okay for us. After 45 minutes the pork and bacon still looked raw so I cooked it another 30 minutes which browned the bacon well but maybe overcooked the pork a little. I think next time I'll brown the bacon some before cooking and maybe increase the oven temp some. Thanks for sharing a new dish for us. Made for WTTM :)1Reply