Korean Sweet and Spicy Chicken
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chicken breasts, filets or 1 1/2 lbs boneless chicken thighs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cornstarch
- vegetable oil, for deep frying
- 2 green chilies, sliced
- 2 dried red chilies, seeded and sliced
- 3 walnuts, finely chopped
- salt & fresh ground pepper
for the marinade
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 onion, finely chopped
for the sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon gochujang chili paste
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pineapple juice
- 15 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Cut chicken into bite-size strips and season with salt and pepper.
- Combine all the marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well and add the chicken, rubbing the mixture thoroughly into the meat. Leave to marinae for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the marinated chicken with a thin coating of cornstarch, covering the meat well and evenly.
- Fill a wok or medium heavy skillet one third full of vegetable oil and heat to 340 degrees F.
- Add the chicken and deep-fry for 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and drain on paper towels to remove excess oil.
- Blend all the sauce ingredients together in a large pan, adding the garlic cloves whole, and heat over a medium heat.
- Once the sauce in bubbling, add the chicken and stir to coat the chicken with the sauce.
- Simmer until the sauce has formed a sticky glaze over the chicken and add the chilies. Transfer to a serving dish and sprinkle the walnuts on top as a garnish.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!