Korean Savory Caramalized Potatoes(Kamja Chorim)
- Ready In:
- 3 lbs firm white potatoes
- 4 ounces dried anchovies (salted anchovies may be substituted)
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice wine (ch'onju ,or chinese rice wine may be substituted)
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 5 garlic cloves, crushed and chopped finely
- 6 green onions
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, roasted
- Wash and peel the potatoes;dice into pieces about 1'' .Cut the green onions into 1'' pieces,using the green tops as well as the white bottoms.
- Remove the heads from the anchovies and de-vein .Soak them in 1/2 cold water for 15 minutes if using dried.If dried anchovies are unavailable,anchovies packed in salt are acceptable,but rinse them thoroughly before soaking.Do not discard the soaking water.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat until very hot.While the oil heats,mix the water reserved from the anchovies with the soy sauce,sugar,and wine.If using salted anchovies,you may want to use half of the water and add an additional 1/4 cup fresh water.Your call.
- Add garlic and half of the green onions to the skillet and sautee for 2 minutes.Add the potatoes,anchovies,and soy sauce mixture.cover partially,and cook ,stirring occasionally for about 10 minutes.
- uncover,increase heat to medium-high and cook until all the liquid is absorbed,about another 10 minutes.Add the sesame oil and the remaining green onions,removing from heat immediately.
- Season to taste with pepper,and additional salt if needed.Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!