Korean Chicken Skewers - Dakkochi
- Ready In:
- 2 lbs chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into 3/4 inch cubes
- 12 large green onions, cut into 1 . 5 inch to 2 inch length
- 2 tablespoons rice wine
- fine sea salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste (freshly ground)
- some cooking oil (spray)
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons gochujang (Korean chilli paste)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon cornstarch
- Immerse the skewers in water and let soak for 30 minutes.
- To make the spicy gochujang sauce, combine 1/4 cup ketchup, 2 Tbsp gochujang, 2 Tbsp honey, 2 Tbsp dark brown sugar, 1 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 tsp sesame oil and 1/2 tsp minced garlic in a medium bowl. Mix them well. Set it aside until needed.
- To make the sweet soy sauce, combine 3 Tbsp soy sauce, 2 Tbsp honey, 1 tsp minced ginger, 1 tsp minced garlic in a sauce pan and boil it over medium low heat until it starts lightly bubbling. In the meantime, combine the water and cornstarch in a small bowl and whisk it well.
- When the sauce in the sauce pan starts bubbling, pour over the cornstarch mixture. Whisk them well until the sauce is well blended and thickens. (Do not over-thicken as it will be difficult to spread over the chicken later. The sauce should be still slightly runny.).
- Remove from the heat and set it aside until needed.
- Place the chopped chicken pieces into a mixing bowl. Add the rice wine, some salt and pepper. Mix them well. Set it aside while other ingredients are being prepared (about 5 mins).
- Remove bamboo skewers from the water (from step 1) and gently pat them with kitchen paper. Put chicken and green onion pieces onto a skewer in alternating order. Make sure all the meat and green onions are tightly packed onto the skewer.
- Preheat grill or indoor grill pan. Spray some cooking oil over the grill grates . Place the chicken skewers on the grill/grill pan and cook over medium high heat. Turn the skewers after 3 minutes and start brushing your choice of either sauce onto the chicken and green onions. After 2 minutes, reduce heat to medium and turn the skewers over again and brush on the sauce of your choice. Then reduce heat to low. Continue turning the skewers and brushing sauce on them every two minutes until the chicken is fully cooked and nicely charred.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!