Kombucha or Tea Kvass
- Ready In:
- Start by making your Sweetened Organic Tea.
- Boil filtered water and dissolve sugar.
- pour into 2 gallon GLASS or CERAMIC crock - a cut brown paper grocery bag around glass crock to keep light out - I use a 2 gallon safe ceramic water dispenser with a spigot from a thrift store 5 bucks.
- toss in 8 to 10 bags of Organic Black Tea I like Celestial Seasons best and St.Dalfour second best.
- cover with bread cloth and cool overnight on a bakers rack - you want as much of the tea tannins to exude from the leaves.
- remove tea bags - squeeze if you want to.
- stir in 2 cups Kombucha reserve from prior batch.
- let movement settle and place crock in final clean room out of way location.
- introduce the SCOBY as gently as possible (kit gloves) into the crock.
- cover with double layer of fine cheese cloth and a rubber band.
- harvest all but 2 cups reserve on the 10th day ie SCOBY introduced on the 17th - harvest on the 27th.
- refrigerate immediately.
- serve chilled.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Mission statement: Please leave a creative message at the beep... and try some of my recipes. Well, at least read the titles and intros for a few giggles ;o] Chosen profession: Domestic Engineer Current employment: standing on corner holding sign "will food for work" Volunteer: Sunday school (ECF) teacher - 7th grade. Family, church & friend oriented. Music: too much to list... just know that I loathe gangsta, Yoko-Ono's stylings and what is up with fusion - I don't get it. Sports: take me to a baseball or hockey game and I'm a happy camper. ... and hobbies: too many to list. For fun: really really really no... really bad puns - seriously, I'm just a goof-ball. Books: Fanny Farmer cook book is cute light reading for any good domestic engineer. I love my Nourishing Traditions cookbook. I have done a complete 180 on milk. I now LOVE LOVE LOVE Ice cold raw whole milk, and renounce soy milk completely, though I will still joyfully eat tofu - overlooking the health detriment that it imposes. Pet peeve: When people say 'these ones' or 'those ones', instead of saying 'these' etc... "Ones" is expressed and is not necessary. The word 'utilize' is over used and over-rated. The slang word "UM".