Kolkata Chilli Chicken
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil or 4 tablespoons peanut oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, finely chopped
- 4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 green chilies, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- spring onion, shredded, to serve (optional)
for the MARINADE
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled and finely grated (2-3cm)
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons malt vinegar
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 2 teaspoons demerara sugar
- Note: You'll need to marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes. Marinating it for longer (up to 24 hours) will increase its flavour.
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together and set aside. Heat 1 tbsp oil in a heavy-based pan and fry the onion over a medium heat for 5 mins until softened, but not coloured. Remove from the heat, cool and combine with the marinade in a large bowl. Add the chicken and stir to coat. Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan. Tip in the chillies and white pepper, and fry over a low heat for 1 minute Add the chicken pieces along with the marinade, then fry for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked. Top with the spring onions and serve.
Join The Conversation
My DH and I LOVED this! It is so flavorful and not too spicy. I followed the recipe exactly, except I didn't have cornflour so I just ground up some cornmeal and used serrano peppers. I marinated the chicken for 24hrs. This was very easy to make and, even better, I usually have all the ingredients on hand so I can make it anytime!It was so good, we kept eating even though we were beyond full :) I served it with some naan that I found at Trader Joe's. Thanks so much for sharing this!!!