- Ready In:
- 3hrs 15mins
- 8 ounces cream cheese (Philadelphia)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 2 egg yolks (save the whites for nut filling)
- 1⁄2 lb unsalted butter
- 3 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lb walnuts (without shells-crushed)
- 1⁄4 lb melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 egg white
- 1⁄2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Mix softened cream cheese, softened butter, baking powder, and egg yolks with a pastry blender.
- Mix in sour cream and sift in flour.
- Add vanilla and knead the dough until your hands are clean (i.e. it all sticks together and is a uniform mixture).
- Roll into 1/4 cup balls and refrigerate overnight (~8 hrs).
- Prepare the filling (if store-bought, skip this step). Beat the egg white until it is foamy. Mix with crushed walnuts, melted butter, sugar, brown sugar and cinnamon. Store in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Roll dough flat, using flour to prevent sticking to surface and rolling pin. Only remove what dough from the refrigerator that you are currently rolling (leave the rest of the dough balls in the fridge to keep firm).
- Use a square-shaped cookie cutter to cut squares out of the dough. Place a little filling in the middle of the square. Then pinch 2 opposite corners together. Fold this over and pinch again. (This step is a bit of a personal preference, there are many different ways to shape and fill kolacky).
- Bake 9-12 minutes on a non-stick pan, or until light brown.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!