MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
A traditional Norwegian pastry recipe from my grandmother. We make it Thanksgiving weekend to serve at Christmas. Hard work but worth it.
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 lb lard
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 3⁄4 lb butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- Blend flour and salt.
- Cut in lard.
- Add water.
- Mix well.
- Divide into 12 balls.
- In a separate bowl, combine beaten egg and milk.
- In a third bowl, cream butter and sugar.
- On a floured surface, roll dough as thin as possible.
- 8 to 10 inch circles.
- Bake like a pancake on a seasoned griddle set at 400 degrees.
- When the first side is lightly browned flip the"pancake" and brush the baked side with the egg/milk mixture.
- When the egged side is dry flip the"pancake" again and rebake the egged side.
- You will cook 3 sides.
- Stack the cooked pieces with very wet washcloths facing the unegged side of the"pancakes".
- When the"pancakes" are cool and pliable spread the enegged side with the butter mixture and fold, butter side in.
- Cut into 3 wedges and freeze of refrigerate.
- These are best when aged in the freezer for 4 to 8 weeks.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION