Kittencal's White Sauce/Roux
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups half-and-half cream (or use 18% cream or full-fat milk)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper (or to taste, can use freshly ground black pepper)
- For stovetop; melt butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Add in flour stirring/whisking constantly for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in cream or milk stirring/whisking constantly until bubbly and thickened.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- For microwave; place butter into a 6 to 8-cup liquid Pyrex measuring cup.
- Microwave on HIGH for 45 seconds or until thickened.
- Add in flour stirring until smooth.
- Gradually add in cream or milk; stir/whisk well.
- Return to microwave and cook on HIGH for about 4 minutes or until thickened and bubbly (stirring after 2 minutes and then at 1 minute intervals).
- Stir in salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat use immediately, or to cool the sauce for later use, cover the sauce directly with wax paper to prevent a skin from forming.
- Veloute sauce; substitute 2 cups chicken or beef broth for the cream.
- For cheese sauce; stir in 2 cups old cheddar cheese and 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard with the salt and pepper.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I have used this basic recipe for years when making Au Gratin Potatoes, Scalloped Potatoes, Macaroni & Cheese, etc. Although the half and half is wonderful, for dietary reasons I have used skim milk in place of the half and half and the results are great. I don't heat the milk either. I'll have to try to see what the difference is.