Kittencal's Perfect Pesto
photo by ScrappieDoo
- Ready In:
- 4 cups fresh basil leaves, packed (about 3 large bunches)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts (or can use toasted walnuts, or use half each)
- 3 medium fresh garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup freshly grated grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (can use 1-1/2 teaspoons if desired)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (optional, or use pinch cayenne pepper)
- Combine the basil, olive oil, pine nuts and garlic cloves in a blender (or food processor).
- Blend until a paste form, stopping often to push down the basil.
- Add in the Parmesan cheese and Kosher salt; blend until smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl.
- NOTE to clean fresh basil leaves; swirl in a bowl of water then spin them very dry in a salad spinner.
- If not using right away store the clean leaves in a sealed plastic bag with a slightly damp paper towel, the leaves should keep well refrigerated for up to 2 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was unbearably salty. You only need about a quarter of a teaspoon of salt, not a full. I had to add more basil and pine nuts at the last minute to try and balance it out. I also had to squeeze half a lemon's worth of juice to bring it down. I used this for pasta and could only use 2-3 spoonfuls in a full pot of pasta.
see 56 more reviews