Kittencal's Crispy Coating Mix for Moist Oven Baked Chicken
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup chicken coating mix (use only Shake and Bake Southern Fried coating mix , 3/4 cup is exactly one package of mix)
- 1 1⁄2 cups corn flake crumbs (the ready-made boxed kind)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt (use only seasoning salt)
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder (use or less if desired)
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 2 whole chickens, cut into pieces (about 3 1/2 pounds each)
- Wash chicken pieces in cold water (leave the chicken moist so the coating will hold on to it) set aside.
- In the plastic mixing bag that comes with the coating mix, combine all ingredients (except the chicken pieces) and shake bag to combine thoroughly.
- Set oven to 425°F.
- Set oven rack to lowest-bottom position.
- Line a large 15-inch baking sheet with foil, and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Shake each piece of chicken in the bag to coat thoroughly with mixture and place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining chicken pieces.
- Bake for 45 minutes (you might have to bake for about 5 minutes more if the backs are attached to the legs).
- *NOTE* Sometimes if you are using frozen defrosted chicken there might still be some water left in the chicken that will come out when baking, if you find that there is a lot of water in your pan about halfway through baking, just carefully remove the pan with a towel or oven mitts and hold over the sink to drain the water, and place back in the oven to bake (just enough to drain, careful not to remove the chicken from the pan and throw into the sink!).
- The less water in the bottom of the pan the crispier you chicken will be).
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
I was unable to find the recommended ingredients. I but the cornflakes in the food processor & added then to a wheat flour Shake & Bake. I also dipped the chicken in a TBSP of mayo mixed with milk. I used boneless chicken thighs & cooked them for 30mins. Kitten, sorry about the changes but this is a very good recipe that I plan on making often. I will continue to search for the original ingredients.
WOW! End result, great *CRISPY* chicken! Ive never been a fan of any kind of shake and bake product until I tried this variation! I added 1 1/2 tsp of garlic powder and it was just right for us. I used only what I needed for the two of us and saved the rest for next time. I would like to try this coating mix on potato wedges. Thanks Kitten for a great meal and one that goes into the recipe binder.*edit* To say that I gave this recipe to my sister and she passed it on to a friend and they both raved about it, they say thanks Kitten