Kittencal's Beef Gravy
photo by Dissie
- Ready In:
5 cups (approx)
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder (optional or to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup flour, plus
- 2 tablespoons flour (for a very thick gravy increase to 3 tablespoons)
- 1 tablespoon oxo beef bouillon powder (or to taste, I use 2 small package OXO beef bouillon powder)
- 4 cups canned low sodium beef broth (or use beef pan drippings with broth to make up 4 cups, omit the bouillon if using beef drippings)
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat melt butter or margarine until bubbly (do not brown).
- Add in the black pepper, garlic powder (if using) and flour, then whisk for 1 minute.
- Slowly add in the beef broth and beef bouillon powder (or beef broth mixed with pan drippings) stir over low heat until smooth, thickened and bubbly about 3 minutes).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this today to go with a beef roast and it was so yummy!! My roast hardly had any drippings, and I didn't have any beef stock on hand so I followed the recipe with the following substitions: I used chicken stock (and beef bouillon powder), and then I added a dash of Kitchen Bouquet for color and it was superb.
Yum! I made this to go with recipe #230311 and it was perfect! I didn't have bouillon at home, and being too lazy to make a special trip to the store just for bouillon cubes, I added a spoonful of commercial gravy to the mix and didn't miss the bouillon at all. This is so easy and delicious it'll be my go to gravy recipe.
I made this last night to accompany a filet roast and some smashed yukon gold potatoes. It is a fast and simple recipe, but it is really flavorful and has a perfect consistency, just awesome. I only made a few tiny changes due to supplies I had on hand. I had a big bag of crimini mushrooms that I added at the end. I also used organic beef base in place of the bullion and stock, and it worked beautifully. I will use this recipe again and again.