King Arthur Holiday Butter Cookies and Icing That Hardens
photo by MrsNCarter1
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, plus 2 tablespoons at room temperture
- 1 egg yolk, large
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 3⁄4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 1/2 tablespoons milk
- food coloring (optional)
- Beat together sugar, butter, egg youlk, salt and flavor.
- Stir in flour to make a chohesive dough, adding a couple teaspoons of water if necessary.
- Divide dough in half, shape each in a flattened disk and wrap in plastic.
- Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Let dough soften for about 20 to 30 minutes before rolling.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch to 3/16 inch thick.
- Cut shapes with a cutter.
- Place cookies on ungreased or parchment lined baking sheets and bake in preheated 350 oven for 12 to 14 minutes, until set and barely browned around edges.
- Remove from oven, cool on the pan.
- Repeat with remaining pice of dough.
- Combine sugar, corn syrup and milk to make a soft spreadable icing.
- Tint icing with food color as desired.
- Spread icing on cookies.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar or other decorations.
- Allow icing to harden before storing cookies.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>As of 6-14-2013 DH will be completing his tour in Trinidad, which has been a wonderful adventure; and returning home to Dayton, WA. We'll miss all our friends and time there, but looking forward to enjoying home life on the ranch for awhile, while we see what the next adventure might bring.</p> 8726453"