Kim's Kicked up Portabella and Vegetable Stir-fry
- Ready In:
- 1 cup portabella mushroom, sliced (or 2-3 small caps)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil, divided (more as needed)
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chinese chili-garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon hoisin sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 5 asparagus spears, cut in one inch pieces
- 1 cup red bell pepper, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, sliced (or chopped red onion)
- 1⁄4 cup mung bean sprouts, fresh
- cooking spray
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil, the five-spice powder, and the mushrooms; toss together and allow to marinate for 10 minutes.
- Whisk together soy sauce, rice vinegar, chili garlic sauce, hoisin sauce, garlic, ginger, cornstarch, 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil, and sesame seeds; set aside.
- Spray pan or wok with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat (add a little oil, too, if you pan is not nonstick) and add mushrooms.
- Stirring constantly, cook for about 2 minutes; remove mushrooms from pan.
- Place broccoli, asparagus, and red pepper in the pan and stir fry for about 3 minutes, or until tender-crisp (stir constantly).
- Add sauce mixture to the pan, stirring until the sauce thickens; this should take, at most, one minute.
- Add the green onion and sprouts and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Whoa! Mouth is burning as I type this. Next time I will cut the garlic chili sauce in half, and also go halvsies on the star of anise. Add chopped cashews, cilantro and a squeeze of lime to your toppings and BAM! Delicious! This was very spicy and pungent though. I love spicy but the GF not so much so I grubbed down while she slowly picked. YUM!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My husband and I married straight out of college in July of 1992. I work as the Assistant Manager at a wine shop which allows me to drink on the job! (OK, not that much, but it's still a fun job...) Besides helping customers choose wine they will like (and also help with food and wine pairings for their menus), I also get to help with the catering end of the business, so I get to spend a fair amount of time in the kitchen making fun appetizers and beautiful food displays. I also work part-time at the fromagerie next door. So yeah - that means I eat on the job, too. :^D We live on several peaceful wooded acres on a cute little river in rural NE Wisconsin, with a cranky old-lady Burmese and whatever stray outdoor cats that have decided to adopt us on any given day. The cute puppy in the picture is Jake, our Elhew-bred English Pointer that we brought home on Easter weekend 2007. I've also got 2 painted turtles named Dennis and Fuzz, and a bunch of fish (koi and goldfish, along with the guppies & swordtails in the turtle tank). I USUALLY eat and cook healthy, but I rarely pass up dessert, either. I do not eat red meat, and try to limit other animal products, too. I love to bake, although I seem to collect a lot of scone and biscotti recipes which I NEVER get around to making. I bake and eat A LOT of cookies and muffins... I almost always reduce the sugar by 1/4 and use whole wheat pastry flour for at least part of the flour. Those two changes do so much to make recipes healthier without compromising taste. I try to reduce fat whenever I can, too, but while I want to eat healthy, I still want to ENJOY what I eat!!! I seem to give a lot of 4 and 5 star reviews here - I seem to have a pretty good sense of what I like by looking at a recipe before I try it. Thank you to anyone that tries my recipes in return, or photographs them. Amber: <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/amber2.jpg"> ........And a grown up Jake (one year old in January 2008) :) - <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/JAKE111307.JPG"> Charlotte (May 27, 1992-June 1, 2009): <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/Charlott.jpg"> Ashley: Adopted October 8, 1996 - Passed Away January 6, 2009 <img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/ashley2.jpg"> Mike: September 26, 1994 - March 19, 2004<img src="http://netnet.net/~mkburie/mike1997-lr.JPG">.... <a href='http://www.niftymaps.com/visitor-map.php?id=36321'><img src='http://i.niftymaps.com/36321.png' alt='Click to zoom in on my visitor map!' border='0'></a>Create your free world <a href='http://www.niftymaps.com/' target='_blank'>visitor maps</a>