Killer Kielbasa and Sauerkraut on Kaisers
photo by Sandi From CA
- Ready In:
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained, but not squeezed (not Bavarian)
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 lb polska kielbasa (1 package, cut to length of rolls)
- 2 kaiser rolls (about 6-8 -long)
- 2 -3 teaspoons mustard
- In large skillet over medium heat, melt butter, then stir in partially-drained sauerkraut, caraway seeds and salt and pepper. Stir periodically and when kraut begins to very lightly brown, turn heat to very low, but stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Preheat broiler to high.
- Heat second skillet over medium heat with about a teaspoon of vegetable oil.
- Slice kielbasas lengthwise, but not all the way through (butterflied). Lay open side down into skillet and cook until desired brownness (We like ‘em CHARCOALY!) then flip and repeat. Drain on paper towels.
- Slice kaiser rolls, if they’re not already, either in half lengthwise or butterflied. Broil for 1-2 minutes, open-faced, until toasted.
- Spread divided mustard over kaiser rolls. Plop some sauerkraut on each sandwich and add a kielbasa.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!