Kielbasa Potato Chowder
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 lb smoked kielbasa or 1/2 lb Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granule
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 kale leaves, torn or 2 chopped fresh spinach
- 1⁄2 cup heavy whipping cream or 1/2 cup 2% low-fat milk
- In a large nonstick skillet, brown kielbasa and bacon; drain, reserving 1 teaspoon drippings.
- Add onion and garlic; cook over medium heat for 2 - 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil.
- Add the potatoes, bouillon and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Add the meat mixture and kale; cook over medium heat for 2 minutes or until kale is wilted.
- Reduce heat. Add the cream; cook 1 minute longer or until heated through.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I LOVE to cook and eat and read cookbooks. My kitchen really does overfloweth with them and of course this has quickly become my favorite cooking site! I live with my husband in a small town in eastern Connecticut. We are both retired. My children are all grown and have families of their own now. Our 3 grandchildren and 1 great-granddaughter all live in Florida and it goes without saying that we miss them very much, so when my husband retired last year we celebrated by buying a small RV! We so enjoyed driving it to Florida to spend the holidays with the little ones. Although COVID has prevented us from repeating the trip this year, I am enjoying learning new recipes to make in our RV for next year. I think the Instant Pot and the Crock Pot will be my new best friends while traveling!