Kibbeh Naye ( Raw Meat With Bulgur)
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 - 2 cups very fine bulgur
- 1 medium red onion, quartered
- 2 lbs lean leg of lamb, cut into 1 inch cubes (or beef)
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄4 cup ice, small chips (optional)
- 1 cup chopped scallion, including some of the green tops
- 1 cup parsley, chopped fine
- pita bread pickles or radish
- Wash bulgur in a bowl, drain, and cover with warm water.
- Set aside.
- Place onion in container of food processor and process until pureed.
- Remove half and set aside.
- Add half of meat and half of seasonings.
- Cover and process to a paste.
- Remove cover and scrape mixture into large bowl.
- Repeat with the rest of the onion, meat and spices.
- Mix it all together well.
- Drain bulgur and squeeze out excess liquid-you can use a clean dish towel or just your hands.
- Divide meat mixture in half.
- Place half of mixture in container of food processor.
- Sprinkle a few ice chips (if using) over and add half of the bulgur.
- Process until well mixed, scrape into a large bowl.
- Repeat with remaining meat, ice chips and bulgur.
- Smooth prepared kibbeh onto platter with fingertips that have been dipped into water.
- Make a criss-cross indentation over surface with side of your hand.
- Pour some olive oil over entire surface, surround platter with scallions, parsley and mint sprigs.
- Serve with pita bread, pickles and radishes.
- Or serve oil and while scallions, mint sprigs in a separate bowl.
- (ALTERNATIVE WAY TO MAKE,is to grind the meat in a meat grinder with the fine disk two times. Grate the onion with a fine grater. Mix the meat onions and spices together in a large bowl. Add the bulgur and knead together for about 15 minutes until it is li).
- VARIATION TO SERVE- Pinch off aout 2-inch pieces of mixture and shape into cylinders.
- Roll in the chopped parsley and scalions.
- KEEP THIS COLD AND SERVE AS SOON AS YOU CAN AFTER MAKING IT!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!