Khubz 'aadi (Pita Bread)
photo by Baby Kato
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- Proof yeast with sugar, and 1/2 cup warm water in a bowl for 10 minutes, until frothy.
- Add 2 cups warm water, and 1 cup of the flour. Stir until well combined.
- Add salt and 2 tbsp oil, then gradually add remaining flour until dough forms a ball.
- Knead until smooth and elastic, then cover and allow to rise in a warm place until doubled - about 2 hours.
- Punchdown dough and divide into 16 portions, keeping dough covered.
- Roll each portion into a 7" disc, and spread out in a single layer. Keep covered and allow to rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat a pizza stone (or baking pan) in a 500*F oven.
- Bake breads 2-3 at a time for 3 minutes, until golden and puffed. Place bread in a clean towel to keep warm and soft.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These were delicious pita Random Rachel. I scaled down the recipe for only two people, it worked really well. The pita were easy to make. I did have a little difficulty with shaping, I will improve with practise. The pita were wonderful served with recipe #307689, recipe #472507 and Greek Tomato Salad.