Khao Pad Sapparod (thai Pineapple Rice)
- Ready In:
- 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 cups freshly cooked rice
- 1⁄2 cup roasted cashews
- 1⁄2 pineapple
- 1⁄2 - 1 1/2-1 cup Chinese barbecue pork or 1/2-1 cup other leftover cooked meat, cut into bite size pieces (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped coriander roots
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fish sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups coconut milk
- coarsely chopped green onion, for garnish
- Cut half of the pineapple into cubes.
- Prepare all remaining ingredients and have at hand.
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk to a boil.
- Add the coriander root, white pepper, sugar and fish sauce.
- Reduce heat and simmer the sauce for 3-5 minutes, then strain.
- Preheat a wok over medium high heat and add the oil, to coat the sides of the wok.
- When the oil is hot, add the meat, pineapple, cashews and rice.
- Stir and toss to combine well.
- Slowly pur the seasoned coconut milk over the rice, 1/4 cup at a time until the rice is just moistened.
- You will have more than enough seasoned coconut milk, any leftovers can be frozen for future use.
- Continue stif frying until the rice is heated through.
- If desired, fill the empty pineapple half with the rice mixture.
- Garnish and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
An excellent dish full of flavor. I should have given a review much earlier. I have made this dish countless times for family and taken it as a potluck dish for asian and american friends. It always gets rave reviews. Never any leftover. The flavor and color is enhanced when I included 1/2 cup of raisins and 1to 2 tsp tumeric powder (freshly squeezed grated yellow ginger is better but powdered form is OK). I also found mixing the boiled 'coconut sauce' into the rice BEFORE frying helps avoid clumps and separates the rice making the frying process a lot easier. Thanks for sharing such a great recipe.