Khabeesa (Omani Breakfast Item)
I found this on the Desitwist website, and I wanted it to complete my A to Z collection of recipes (my Around the World Cookbook). Also known as Farina, Sameed, Cream of Wheat. Serving size is a guess. I definitely recommend a nonstick saucepan. This worked fine with fat free milk and "quick" farina. If you are not used to cardamon, you might want to reduce the amount.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄3 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon ground cardamom
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons rose water (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron or 1/2 teaspoon one pinch saffron thread
- 5 cups milk
- 3⁄4 cup farina
- Combine all of the ingredients in a sauce pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to the lowest level and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm in individual bowls or on small desert plates. Drizzle with butter, if desired.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Delicious, quick and easy to make! I used the optional rosewater and would strongly suggest not omitting it. The rosewater is like the icing on the cake. The mixture was brought *almost* to the boil and the rosewater was stirred in right before serving. Garnished with sesame seeds and slivers of dried dates. Thanks! Reviewed for NA*ME Explores Oman.Reply
Made this for January Tag Game - 2011 and really enjoyed it. DH, not so much. He said "there's a funny taste" I personaly loved it but my suggestion is if you arn't used to the rose water, go easy on it. I did make it with cream of rice as that's what I had on hand and then followed the recipe. Served with a sprinkling of sugar, pat of butter and DH added milk to his. I'll be making this again, but only when it's me.1Reply