- Ready In:
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 drops hot pepper sauce
- 3 tablespoons instant minced onion
- 6 cups cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- Mix sugar, salt, pepper, mayonnaise, milk, buttermilk, celery seed, hot pepper sauce, and minced onion together; let sit for 15 minutes.
- Mix cabbage, carrots, and dressing together in a large bowl.
- Let sit for at least 1 hour up to 24 hours.
- Notes: Buttermilk can be replaced by milk with a little bit of vinegar in it, or sour cream, yogurt, or whey milk. Dry minced onions can be replaced by 1/2 cup fresh chopped onion or green onion.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
outofthisworld. I used between 4 and 6 cups of a coleslaw mix bought at Bruno's in Toronto. Did not have buttermilk, celery seed. Used fresh onions. Did you 3 drops of franks hot sauce, mayo, milk etc. Also, added a bit of lemon juice. I thought, how good could this be. Well, it is soooo tasty. Can't wait to have it with southern fried chicken. Yum. You must try it. I didn't even add buttermilk and it was great. Linda
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a clothing designer that loves to cook. I run a business and a home and have little time to enjoy cooking so I do a lot of bulk cooking and take full advantage of my freezer when I do.