Keto Brothy Chicken With Bok Choy and Ginger
photo by Chandra M
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon bacon fat
- 2 bone in skin on chicken thighs
- 4 chicken wings
- 6 cups water
- kombu seaweed, 1 4x4-inch piece, broken into 1 inch squares
- 8 small dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1 inch gingerroot, peeled, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar, unseasoned
- 9 ounces bok choy, white stem thinly sliced, greens torn
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 1 inch turmeric, root peeled, grated
- 2 tablespoons scallions, white and green parts, thinly sliced (1 large)
- 1 teaspoon gingerroot, cut in matchsticks
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon hot chili oil
- In a stockpot or dutch oven, melt the bacon fat. Season the chicken thighs and wings with salt and pepper to taste. Add chicken to the dutch oven, skin side down and cook over medium heat until skin is browned. Flip chicken pieces, and brown other side.
- Add 6 cups water, kombu, dried shiitake, smashed ginger, and rice vinegar to pan. Simmer until thighs are cooked to 165° F. Remove thighs from pan. Meanwhile prep other ingredients.
- When thighs are cool enough, separate meat from skin and bones. Return skin and bones to pan. Tear meat into bite size pieces.
- Simmer stock 20 minutes until flavorful. Strain and discard wings, kombu, dried shiitake, smashed ginger, bones, and skin. Season to taste with salt.
- Return chicken meat to pan. Add minced shiitake and white part of bok choy, simmer for 3 minutes. Add green part of bok choy and turmeric to pan, simmer 2 minutes.
- Serve, topping with ginger matchsticks, scallions, sesame and hot chili oil.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!