Kentucky Hot Brown Strata
- Ready In:
- 1hr 40mins
- 1 (1 -1 1/4 lb) country bread (1 loaf) or (1 -1 1/4 lb) sourdough bread, crusts removed if thick (1 loaf)
- 6 ounces chopped smoked turkey or 6 ounces roast turkey
- 6 ounces bacon, finely chopped and cooked crisp
- 1 large tomatoes, chopped
- 3⁄4 lb cheddar cheese, grated (medium or sharp)
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups milk or 2 cups half-and-half
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried sage (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 - 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Oil or butter a deep 9- or 10-inch baking dish.
- Slice the bread about ½-inch thick; arrange 3 equal alternating layers of the bread, turkey, bacon, tomato, and cheese in the baking dish.
- Cut or tear the bread slices if needed to make snug layers.
- In a bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, sage, salt, and cayenne.
- Pour the liquid mixture over the bread mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours to overnight.
- Remove the strata from the refrigerator 20-30 minutes before you plan to bake it.
- Preheat oven to 350°; bake the strata for 50-55 minutes until puffed, golden brown, and lightly set in the center; serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This recipe was just excellent! I had trouble finding sourdough bread around for some reason but I found a small baguette and halved the recipe to compensate. I made this as my Christmas morning breakfast and hubby and I just adore it! It is easy to make, tastes delicious, refrigerates and reheats very well! Thanks for a great recipe!