photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
Saute drain grease
- 3 lbs hamburger
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 -4 fresh jalapenos, chopped small
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder
dump into large pot crockpot and add
- 1⁄3 cup good chili powder
- 1 3⁄4 cups ketchup (I like Hunt's)
- 3 tablespoons lime juice, can sub lemon jc. (I just use the concentrates)
- 4 -6 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons mustard
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cumin
- 3 cups spicy hot V8
- 1 (16 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (8 ounce) packages fresh sliced mushrooms, can sub jarred
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can del monte original stewed tomatoes, with the juice and break up tomatoes
- 1 cup beef broth (optional)
- extra salt and pepper
- more garlic powder
- Stir and bring just to a low simmer, reduce heat and cook for at least 1-2 hours in a crockpot Thick, rich and slightly sweet/slightly hot, very unique!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this last night for 6 people.<br/>This went over well and I actually used 2 pkgs of Yves Ground Round to make it Vegetarian and no one noticed. This is a very sweet recipe, I used 4 tbsp of brown sugar but it could have used less. Plus I only used 2 jalapeno peppers, non spicy V8 and no Cumin and a little over half of the chili powder and it still had a zing to it. So if you do not like spice, go with less of everything.<br/>Plus, there just seemed to be not enough beans for such a large amount (this makes a very big batch of chili), so I added another 2 cans of beans but then there was too much for the slow cooker, so I transferred it all into a large pot and cooked it on the stove top for a couple of hours.<br/>It came out thick and tasty, I will definitely make this again.
Sssmmokin'! We like our chili spicy hot and I really wasn't expecting this to rate up there with our usual favourite but it does! I did make a couple changes which I expect helped to enhance the heat leaving no sweetness to it at all. In fact it had a rich full smokey flavour. Was glad to have a nice fresh foccaccia bread to ease the heat. I cut the servings back to 4 and used tomato sauce instead of ketchup. Did not add the brown sugar and used fresh minced garlic instead of powdered. I used two large jalapeno's and a chipotle chili powder which I assume helped with that smokey flavour. As it's less labour intensive than my usual recipe, I will be making this again frequently! Made for ZWT4
I prepared this recipe last night and it was awesome! I did substitute a can of tomato paste for the ketchup, and used jarred jalepenos instead of fresh, but it was outstanding. I also used two cans of beans instead of one, and used turkey hamburger instead of beef. It made an incredible amount of chili though :-) My crockpot was ~almost~ overflowing. I also topped it with some cheddar and munster cheese.