Kellie's Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup
photo by karenury
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 15mins
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of celery soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans cheddar cheese soup
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) diced tomatoes (I like petite-diced)
- 1 cup salsa, medium
- 1 (4 1/2 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (or to your liking)
- salt and pepper, to your taste
- 1⁄4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 chicken breasts, cooked and chunked
- 10 flour tortillas
- 8 ounces colby cheese, shredded
- In a large stock pot whisk together all eight cans of soup.
- Add chicken broth, tomatoes, salsa, chilies, onion, garlic, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Bring ingredients to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for an hour.
- Add cilantro and chicken and simmer another hour.
- During last hour of cooking, cut tortillas into strips with a pizza cutter.
- Deep fry tortilla strips in hot oil until they are browned. Drain on paper towels.
- Ladle soup into bowls; top with tortilla strips, and shredded cheese.
- **You can also top with additional chopped chicken, tomato, cilantro and/or sour cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am originally from Minneapolis, Minnesota and moved to Ohio in 1978. It was quite a culture shock going from the city to living next to the Amish. I spend most of my time cooking, cleaning and caring for my four kids. I have abandoned cookbooks and now cook from favorite, wilted recipe pages and the internet. I fell in love with my Italian family recipes (Scavo, Rotella, Scalzo, Micelli, Grande, Gigliotti) and my Mom's homecooked meals.