Kaw Man Kai
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 1 whole broiler-fryer chicken
- 1 tablespoon maggi seasoning, sauce
- 1 tablespoon nam pla or 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 3 slices gingerroot
- cooked jasmine rice
- 1 tablespoon brown bean sauce
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cilantro roots, minced
- 2 chilies, chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sweet soy sauce
- Rub the chicken with the sauces inside and out. Stuff the ginger and onion inside the chicken and immerse it in water. Bring it to a boil and simmer for 40. minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the heat and allow it to cool. Retain the stock to make jasmine rice, if desired.
- For the sauce: Heat the oil. Stir fry the bean sauce, garlic and cilantro root.
- Pour into a bowl and add the soy sauce, vinegar and chilies.
- To finish - Mold the rice in a bowl, slice the chicken and place on top of the rice.
- Serve with the sauce and garnish with cucumber slices.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We loved this! THE PICKY ONE said the broth should have been seasoned more strongly as she went back for 3rds. I added what little chicken was left to the broth & added the remaining sauce to make soup for lunch. I think next time I'll skip rubing sauces on the chicken & stuffing the ginger & onion inside & just add it all to the water. Made for PAC '07.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am in Southern Ontario, in the heart of one of the best tender fruit and wine producing areas in the world. I live here with my husband, our wonderful children and our 2 cats. I have a vast collection of cookbooks and books on food. To pick a favourite would be impossible. I love them all. I love to learn about other cultures through their food and would enjoy chatting with other (women) who are passionate about international cuisine, or just food in general.