My friend Katie makes this in New Orleans, where she just moved, and I just visited. The ladies in her family have been passing it around and she just shared it with me! She says the beauty is that you can really just add and subtract according to what you have in your kitchen.
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup
- 1⁄3 cup honey
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla essence
- 4 1⁄2 cups oats
- 1⁄2 cup flax seeds or 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnuts, pecans or 1 1/2 cups hazelnuts
- 1 1⁄2 cups wheat germ
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Mix the syrup, honey, oil and vanilla essence. Melt in microwave or over stove on low heat.
- Mix all ingredients together well.
- Spread in baking tray and bake for 20 minutes. Stir and mix well. Put in for another 5 minutes. Watch carefully!
- Add diced fruit later, if desired.