Kathy's Scalloped Potatoes With Ham
Here is another use for leftover ham and the other ingredients I always have on hand. I like this recipe because it has a hint of thyme in it. There are also directions here in the description if you wish to freeze it. If you want to bake it at 325 degrees instead of at 375 degrees notice my directions (you know how sometimes you want a certain oven temperature to orchestrate your menu-lol). If you want to freeze this start the recipe differently by cutting the potatoes in half and then parboiling them for 10 minutes. Drain, cover with cold water and allow potatoes to cool. Slice potatoes and assemble recipe as directed. Don't bake yet if freezing. Cover well with plastic wrap and foil. Label and freeze. Defrost in refrigerate, remove foil and plastic wrap, recover with the foil and then bake. Thank you Chef #128693 for helping me:)
- Ready In:
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 tablespoons skim milk
- 6 cups potatoes, peeled
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked ham, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Stir in flour, parsley, salt, thyme, and pepper.
- Gradually add all of the milk (3C+2T); bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes; set pan aside.
- Combine in a large bowl the potatoes, ham, and onion; place half in a greased 2 1/2 quart baking dish.
- Top with half of the sauce; put in rest of potato mixture; and then put in last half of the sauce.
- Cover and bake at 375 degrees for 65 to 75 minutes or until potatoes are almost tender.
- Bake uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer, or until potatoes are fully cooked.
- If you need to have an oven at 325 degrees b/c of the rest of the meal, cook 2 hours covered and then 15 minutes uncovered.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
To us this is a main dish and along with a whole tomato and a bed of spinach it made a great dinner. While DH didn't care to the thyme (whats new there!) I thought it was lovely. I made 2 of layers potatoes with the ham in the center and 2 of the three of us at table loved it and rated it a 5.2Reply