Kalops (Swedish Beef Stew)
Here is another childhood memory from growing up in a Swedish-American household. This should be served with boiled red potatoes, pickled beets, and lingonberries.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 2 lbs beef chuck, cut into cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons butter
- 3 medium yellow onions, sliced
- 10 -15 whole allspice
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups water
- Combine flour, salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Toss beef cubes in the flour mixture to coat.
- In a large dutch oven, cook the butter until just starting to brown.
- Add the meat and onions, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Add the bay leaves and allspice.
- Boil the water in a separate pan, then pour over the meat.
- Simmer, covered, for 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is tender. Check the water level occasionally, and add more if needed.
- When meat is tender, remove to a serving dish.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION