Kalfskopsoep - Calf's Head Soup
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
An heirloom, butchering time recipe from the Michigan Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 30mins
- 1 calf's head
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 3 eggs, hardcooked and chopped
- 2 cups milk
- parsley, minced
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄4 lb veal steak, ground
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons butter
- Remove brains from head and reserve for another dish.
- Soak head in cold water; scrub tongue well.
- Place in a large kettle, cover with water and boil until meat drops from the bones.
- Remove from broth, pick meat from bones, return to broth and continue simmering meat with cloves (tied in a cheesecloth bag) for another two hours.
- Add hard cooked eggs, milk, marjoram and parsley.
- Make meatballs by combining all ingredients except the butter and shape into marble-sized balls.
- Fry in butter and drop into soup 20 minutes before serving.
- Make dough balls by combining flour and butter with just enough water to make it possible to shape into smll balls.
- Drop into soup ten minutes before serving.
- Adjust seasoning and serve hot.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation