Kale With Chickpeas in Peanut Sauce
photo by Anne Sainz
- Ready In:
- 1⁄2 cup natural-style peanut butter
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can low-sodium chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb kale, de-stemmed and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oil (to coat pan)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 mushrooms, chopped
- Melt peanut butter in microwave. Mix in tomatoes and chickpeas and set aside.
- Remove the center stem from the kale and discard. Wash and chop kale leaves and set aside. If you don't know how to remove the stems from kale, Google: remove kale stems.
- Coat large sauté pan or pot (5 qt or more) with oil. Add onions and mushrooms and cook over medium heat, adding small amounts of water if needed to prevent sticking. Continue cooking until onions are soft.
- Add kale with small amount of water and cook until wilted. You many need to add kale in batches if it won’t all fit. Add small amounts of water as needed to prevent sticking. Cook to desired doneness.
- Add peanut mixture to kale and heat through, mixing thoroughly.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
In 2011, I saw a PBS Special, 3 Steps to Incredible Health by Dr. Joel Fuhrman. It inspired me to change to a Nutritarian cooking style, which focuses on the nutrient density of the foods you eat. Since that time, I have been collecting recipes. I have found a few recipes ready to go but most of them were either too complicated for everyday use or needed some changes to fit with this eating style.