Juicy Grilled Glazed Autumn Chicken With Apple Pumpkin Sauce
photo by Rita1652
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 12 ounces harvest pumpkin ale (Harvest Moon)
- 1⁄2 cup honey or 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or 2 tablespoons tamari soy sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mango powder (optional) or 1/2 teaspoon amchur (optional)
- 1 small onion, minced
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup sriracha sauce
- 4 4 boneless chicken breasts (breasts scored) or 2 -3 lbs chicken wings
Autumn Pumpkin Sauce
- 14 ounces pumpkin puree
- 3⁄4 cup apple cider
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tablespoon apple liqueur (Korn)
- Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
- Pour half of the marinade over the chicken. Place the chicken in the refrigerator overnight turning often to ensure all sides get coated and penetrates the meat.
- Heat the other half of the marinade and reduce to 1 cup. If more heat is desired add 1 tablespoon sriracha sauce. To be used to glaze the chicken. Can be prepped the day.
- Remove from marinade and let drip away removing excess marinade.
- Whisk together pumpkin puree, apple juice, sugar, cloves, ginger, cinnamon, cardamom and optional pepper flakes in a saucepan until smooth. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the mixture has reached the consistency of applesauce. About 30-60 minutes. Depending if you use fresh or canned pumpkin. Add liquor off the fire stir, cover and set aside. Can be prepared the day before good chilled or warm.
- Heat grill and oil grates.
- Grill chicken legs until well browned on all sides, turning once, 30 to 40 minutes. Glaze the chicken the last 5 minutes with the reduced marinade.
- Test:.meat near thigh bones should no longer be pink when tested with the tip of a knife.
- Boneless chicken breasts will cook quicker so turn after 5-7 minutes glazes the flip after 5-7 minutes and glaze.
- Wings over medium flame. You don't want too high of a temperature. You will also need to turn the wings frequently to avoid burning. It will mean standing by the grill, but you can cook a lot of chicken wings in about 15 to 20 minutes. Just before removing brush glaze over wings.
- Serve with warmed Autumn Pumpkin Sauce for dipping.
- All grills are different temperatures.
- Take advantage of indirect heat!
- If the chicken browns quickly finish over Brown over direct then move to indirect heat.indirect heat.
- All grills have hot spots so watch and be sure to move the chicken to spots on the grill so not to burn and completely cook the chicken.
- As the time of the year makes grilling quicker or slower. So take care and watch and enjoy you food as it grills.
- Be sure to Visit the grilling forum http://www.food.com/bb/viewforum.zsp?f=42 for any help!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!