Judy's Eggplant (Aubergine) Parm
photo by skat5762
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 5mins
- 3 lbs eggplants
- olive oil
- flour, as needed
- 2 cups canned imported Italian plum tomatoes, well-drained and coarsely chopped (or use fresh if in season)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- sea salt
- 3⁄4 lb fresh mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced
- 10 basil leaves, to taste
- butter, for smearing dish
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- Slice eggplant lengthwise 3/8-inch thick.
- Salt both sides, and stack upright in colander.
- Set colander in sink, or set in tray to catch drippings.
- Let sweat for 30 minutes.
- Remove, rinse and pat eggplant dry.
- Place olive oil in pan, about 1 1/2 inches worth.
- Heat until oil is quite hot, but not smoking.
- Dredge eggplant on both sides in flour.
- Place in pan, not overlapping, until golden brown.
- Flip and continue frying until other side is golden brown.
- Remove, drain, and place on paper towels.
- Repeat with remaining eggplant.
- Meanwhile, as eggplant is being fried, place tomatoes, salt and olive oil in another pan.
- Turn to low, or low-medium, and let simmer as you fry the eggplant.
- Cook down until tomatoes are reduced by half.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Smear bottom and sides of (approximately 11X7 baking dish, ceramic preferred) baking dish with butter.
- Place a single layer, overlapping, of eggplant in bottom of dish.
- Dot with cooked tomato.
- Cover with layer of mozzarella, sprinkle quite liberally with grated parm, and snip basil leaves across.
- Repeat process, finishing with a layer of eggplant on top.
- Sprinkle with remaining parm and place dish in upper third of oven.
- Check dish after 20 minutes.
- If there is too much liquid being released, remove excess with spoon.
- Cook for another 15 minutes.
- Let rest before serving.
For a wonderful freezer meal:
- To freeze: Cover dish with foil and freeze. When frozen you can pop it out of the container and put in a freezer bag if desired. Individual portions can be cut and microwaved as well for a quick meal!
- To heat: Thaw and preheat oven to 350°F Cover and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for 10-15 minutes more.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
YUCH ! Threw it all out. Waaayyy tooooo salty. I even wiped the salt off the eggplant first AND I DIDN'T add any salt to the tomatoes like the recipe called for. If I had my blood tested right now I think my sodium level would be critically high. Don't get me wrong - I like salt - but this was inedible.
I made this recipe a few months ago and somehow forgot to submit a review! this is fabulous!! I made everything from scratch and froze before baking. It was wonderful--still very good after being frozen. Like Riffraff, I baked the eggplant instead of frying it to save some calories for that wonderful fresh mozzarella!