Joy of Baking Buttermilk Berry Muffins
- Ready In:
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons lemons or 1 1/4 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 egg, large and lightly beaten
- 1 cup kefir or 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup safflower oil or 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups raspberries (blueberries, black berries or combination)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Position rack in center of oven. Line with paper liners, or butter or spray, with a non stick cooking spray, 12 - 2 3/4 x 1 1/2 inch muffin cups.
- In a large measuring cup or bowl whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In another large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and zest. Gently fold in the berries. With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combined. Do not over mix the batter or tough muffins will result.
- Fill each muffin cup almost full with batter, using two spoons or an ice cream scoop. Place in the oven and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 20 - 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool for about 5 - 10 minutes before removing from pan.
- Makes 12 regular sized muffins.
- Note: If using frozen berries you may have to bake the muffins a little longer than the stated time.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!