Jonesy's French Onion Soup(Low Salt)
photo by Chef Reg Jones
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 3 tablespoons becel margarine
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 large onions (peeled and sliced thin, save a handful for later)
- 1⁄8 cup water
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- 8 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or 8 cups low sodium beef broth
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 6 slices multi-grain bread (toasted) or 6 slices French bread (toasted)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, Gruyere (shredded) or 2 cups cheddar cheese (shredded)
- Caramelize the onions by putting the onions in the oil and margarine in a large Dutch oven or soup pot with the water and pepper. Cover with a tight lid. Let the onions soften and sweat over medium heat about 10 minutes.
- When the water has evaporated, remove the lid, turn heat to low and slowly caramelize the onions, stirring frequently for about one hour. Onions should be brown in color when ready and reduced in quantity to almost one half.
- At this time, add the broth and thyme. Also add a small bit of raw onion if desired for body and appearance. Boil and bit longer to soften these.
- Season again with pepper to taste.
- Preheat the oven broiler. Ladle the soup into oven proof soup bowls. Fit a slice of the toasted bread on top. Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Place bowls on cookie sheet.
- Broil till cheese melts and turns golden.
- ---------ENJOY THIS GREAT SOUP----------------.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I have always enjoyed cooking ..I like to try everything at least once..Home cooking is my passion..I make homemade soup at least once a week ...Cook healthy meals most of the time.i also do a bit of baking.I watch cooking shows on food network..Micheal Smith is one of my favorite chefs. I can spend time in the kitchen as i am now retired .I am a young 66 as well.I was a furniture salesperson for 15 years.I also sold potato chips for 10 years also..</p>