Johnny G's Favorite Broccoli
This is my husband's favorite broccoli, therefore I've named it after him. I've been making this recipe since the beginning of our marriage and it's always been one of his requests since that time. I found this recipe in a Southern Living magazine.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄4 lbs fresh broccoli
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry crushed red pepper
- 2 -3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon water
- Remove broccoli leaves, and cut off tough ends of stalks; discard. Wash broccoli thoroughly, and cut into spears.
- Arrange broccoli in a steamer basket over boiling water. Cover and steam 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove from heat; keep warm.
- Heat sesame and vegetable oils in a small saucepan until hot but NOT smoking; remove from heat.
- Add crushed red pepper, and let stand 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and next 4 ingredients, stirring to dissolve sugar.
- Toss broccoli spears gently with oil mixture just before serving. Serve hot or cold.