Johnny Cakes Made Easy! (And Good:)
- Ready In:
- Whisk together cornmeal, salt and sugar (if used).
- Bring water to a boil and pour over the meal mixture, whisking to prevent lumps. Let the batter rest 10 minutes.
- Butter a large skillet or griddle and bring it to about 375 degrees, just to a sizzle (do not burn the butter).
- Add enough milk (1/2 to a cup) to the batter to make it the consistency of mashed potatoes, and drop by spoonfuls to make cakes about 2 or 3 inches wide and several inches apart (they will spread).
- Let the cakes gently sizzle on the grill for about 6 minutes or as long as 11 minutes until you bring them to a deep golden brown on the bottom and slightly firm on the top, before turning them over.
- Add some more butter to the griddle, and/or place a thin pat of butter on each cake, before turning them over and cooking for another 6 minutes (or longer) until they are a deep golden brown color.
- Serve with butter and and honey, or maple syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I am a wife who LOVES to cook, and even more so, loves to eat! My husband also loves food, so I use this site quite a bit for ideas, etc.