Jillian Michael's Blueberry Banana Muffins
- Ready In:
- 3⁄4 cup very ripe mashed banana (about 2)
- 3⁄4 cup nonfat plain yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 1⁄2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons aluminum-free baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted (optional)
- Place oven rack in center of oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 12-cup muffin tin with olive oil or line with paper liners.
- Place the bananas, yogurt, honey, olive oil and vanilla in a large bowl. Stir together until well mixed.
- In a separate bowl sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture and stir until just combined.
- Fold in the blueberries and nuts (if using).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Place the tin in the oven and reduce the heat to 400 degrees.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until tops spring back when lightly touched.
- Let cool in the tin for 10 to 15 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Serve warm.
- For longer storage, let cool completely and store in an airtight container for up to three days or in the freezer for up to 2 months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
They will do if you want something to eat but they were not the best. I should have known the time was off because when I cook other (less healthy with butter and eggs) muffins I use 375 for 30 minutes and they are perfect. Whole wheat flour is heavy so the batter was thick. I added a third banana because I knew they would be dry. I will try this recipe again and use the lower heat and time. I will most likely add an egg as well. Adding the extra banana gave me more batter so had more than 12 muffins. To cook the second set of 3 big muffins I used the standard cooking temp and they came out much lighter.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Hi there, my name is Stephanie. I live in College Station, TX and I attend Texas A&M University. My major is Mathematics with a minor in English. I've just discovered my love for cooking over the past year. I want to know anything and everything there is about cooking but I am still a beginner cook and have LOTS to learn! <br /> <br />I enjoy cooking, traveling, trying new restaurants, listening to music, country and western dancing and many other things. I have two cats named Patches and Ashley whom I absolutely love to death. They are literally the best friends I've ever had...if anyone wants to share stories about the crazy things their cats have done I would be more than happy to swap stories! <br /> <br /><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg" alt="" /> <br /><img src="http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg" alt="" /> <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /><img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/345380/xmaspatches.jpg" alt="" /> <br /> <br /><img src="http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/345380/ashley.jpg" alt="" /></p>